We will be reading books, articles, stories and other materials to learn about many aspects of reading and literature this year. In addition to various novels we will read as a class or in reading groups, check out the New Classroom Books page on this site to see what's new in my classroom for your own personal reading.
Get ready to learn about the following in Humanities this year:
- Genre and Subgenre
- Story Elements (conflict, setting, tone, mood, characterization, character motivation, protagonists, antagonists, and plot structure)
- Point of View (first person, second person, third person, third person limited, third person omniscient)
- Theme (including author's purpose)
- Literary Techniques (foreshadowing, flashback, irony, hyperbole, propaganda, idioms, imagery)
- Figurative Language (simile, metaphor, alliteration, onomatopoeia, personification)
- Text Structure (compare-contrast, cause-effect, spatial/description, problem-solution, sequence, chronological)
- Reading, Writing and Discussion Strategies (Listening and Speaking) -- Of course, these activities are on-going throughout the year.