Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~
Choosing a book to read is easy. Choosing a book to read that you will enjoy is a bit tougher. Here are some tips to help you pick out something that you will enjoy reading.
- Choose a book that interests you. Think about what you like to do. What sports do you play? Do you like to dance? What hobbies do you enjoy doing at home?
- Select an author whose books you enjoy.
- What genre of books do you enjoy? (mystery, fantasy, nonfiction, etc)
- Read a book with a friend.
- Choose a book that isn't too difficult. Use the Five Finger rule to help you choose a "Just Right" book.
|FIVE FINGER RULE |
While reading the first page of a book, count the unknown words (using fingers to keep track is fine). If there are five or more, the book is too hard for now. Come back to it at a later time!
Think about the story in general to see you really understand what was read. If you find yourself reading the same paragraph a few times because you don't understand what's going on, it might be a clue that the book is a bit difficult.