• Read to/with your child every day.
• Obtain a library card. Let your child help you choose books you both will enjoy.
• Build an appreciation for different kinds of books.• Discuss the title and author. Look at the pictures in the book and predict what the
story might be about. Never cover up the pictures.
• Let the child point to the words, read along with you, or read aloud to you.
• Read with expression and exchange thoughts and feelings about the story.
• Find ways to relate the story to your own experiences or experiences of the child.
• Keep books and story tapes in the car and pack them when you go out.
• Be a good reading model. Show that you enjoy reading and they will too.