Hello Excelsior Charter Academy Students and Families,
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Ms. Felton and I am your child’s Science teacher at Excelsior Charter Academy (ECA). I am a first year teacher here at ECA.
I look forward to getting to know each student and supporting them in learning. Parents are a child’s original teacher and are the largest influence on their life. Therefore, I would like to invite you to inform me of any pertinent details about your child. I appreciate your participation in your child’s education, it truly makes a difference.
If you need to contact me you may send a note with your child, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone the school at (786)565-9188. I look forward to hearing from each of you and learning about your child!
Standards and Expectations
Students are expected to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner at ALL times.
- Students should be respectful to the teacher, peers and themselves.
- Students should use appropriate language that is formal in nature and professional in tone.
- Students should manage behavior and accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
- Disruptive and disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
Students are expected to work hard at ALL times.
- Students are to complete assignments on time.
- Students are to take pride in their work and put forth 100% effort
Students are expected to pay close attention to instructions.
- Students should stay focused during readings/discussions.
- Students should not talk while the teacher or others are reading or talking.
Students are expected to succeed.
- Students have complete control over their academic success.
- Students that need additional help should be proactive in asking the teacher for help.
- Students that work hard, attend class regularly, complete assignments on time and participate in classroom activities and discussion WILL succeed.
- Home Learning will be assigned on an as-needed basis, at least once a week. It is the students' responsibility to take home any materials needed to complete their home learning assignments and return them on a daily basis.
- Assignments are due the following class period; unless we are working on a project and in that instance, the due date will be provided. It is the students’ responsibility to turn in all homework assignments into their proper location in the classroom each day.
- Under no circumstances is the parent or older sibling to complete the student’s assignments or project. We want you to assist and monitor your child's assignments and projects to make sure they're putting maximum effort; not to complete the assignments for them.
Tests will be administered on a unit basis. They will consist of multiple choice. Students are responsible for ALL material covered in class. Remember, we may cover material in class that is not explicitly stated in the notes. If you are absent from class, you are responsible for making up the material missed. Quizzes will be given on a regular basis and sometimes without warning. The quizzes will be brief, usually containing multiple choice or short answer questions.
Students will develop and demonstrate their skills through participation in a science project and/or research-based report/paper for each month. Projects will be completed on an individual basis throughout the year.
Absences & Late Work
It is the student’s responsibility to find out what assignment(s) they miss when absent and to make up the work. Work that is turned in late will be penalized a letter grade per class period. If it is an excused absence, work must still be turned in within 48 hours of excused absence. After which a letter grade will be deducted per class period.
- Students will respect themselves, the teacher & others. Respect others’ property. Respect themselves and the rest of us by using appropriate language and keeping their hands, feet, and belongings to themselves.
- Students will put forth their best effort at all times. Students should always do their own best work, putting quality ahead of just getting it done.
- Students will be prepared for class each day. Please come prepared with all the materials necessary.
- Students will follow directions the first time given.
- Students will turn off all cell phones & electronic devices. Cell phones will be confiscated an given to an administrator.
- Students will not consume any food or drink. This includes chewing gum.
- Students will arrive to class on time & ready to learn. Upon entering class be seated. You should immediately begin working on the bell ringer.
- Students will not cheat, plagiarize, or copy work.
Failure to comply with classroom rules or any other standard in this syllabus will result in the following consequences:
· 1st Offense– Verbal Warning
· 2nd Offense- Loss of Privilege
· 3rd Offense- Change Seat
· 4th Offense– Meet One-on-One With Teacher
· 5th Offense- Contact Parent