Welcome to Ms. Rivas' web page!
On this site, you will find information about our class. Please check this site to find updates related to homework, weekly classroom activities, school events, and as a student/parent resource.
BIG IDEA 6: Earth Structures
Over geologic time, internal and external sources of energy have continuously altered the features of Earth by means of both constructive and destructive forces. All life, including human civilization, is dependent on Earth's internal and external energy and material resources.
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to answer the follow scientific questions:
- Unit 6, Lesson 1 on 'Minerals' - What are minerals, how do they form, and how can they be identified?
- Unit 6, Lesson 2 on 'The Rock Cycle'- What is the rock cycle?
- Unit 6, Lesson 3 on 'Earth's Layers'- What are Earth's layers?
- Unit 6, Lesson 4 on 'Plate Tectonics'- What is plate tectonics?
- Unit 6, Lesson 5 on 'Mountain Building'- How do mountains form?
- Unit 6, Lesson 6 on 'Earthquakes'- Why do earthquakes happen?
- Unit 6, Lesson 7 on 'Volcanoes'- How do volcanoes change Earth's surface?
* Parents, learn more about what your child is reviewing in the classroom by asking them pertinent questions about the lesson of study. The above mentioned 'Essential Questions' should help guide your thinking. Thank you in advance!!
Agenda: Week of March 6, 2017
UNIT 6 EXAM: MARCH 10th
- Introduction to Unit Vocabulary
- Unit 6 Activities:
- Group Activity- The Rock Hound
- The Rock Hound
- The Earth's Layers foldable
- Volcano Model
- Unit Vocabulary BINGO
- Virtual Lab-
- The Rock Cycle
- Plate Tectonics
3. Class Discussion and Open Forum
- Key Discussion Topics:
- Matter and Minerals
- Formation of Minerals
- Three Classes of Rock
- The Rock Cycle
- Earth's Compositional/Physical Layers
- Theory of Plate Tectonics
- Types of Plate Boundaries
- Deformation, Folding, Faulting
- Effects of Earthquakes
- Volcanic Landforms
4. Homework: NONE
|I hope you have a wonderful 2016-2017 school year!|
Ms. Michelle Rivas-Reyes