Course Title: Grade Ten Science Teacher: Ms. White
Course Description: This course enables students to enhance their understanding of concepts in biology, chemistry, earth and space science, and physics, and of the interrelationships between science, technology, society, and the environment. Students are also given opportunities to further develop their scientific investigation skills. Students will plan and conduct investigations and develop their understanding of scientific theories related to the connections between cells and systems in animals and plants; chemical reactions, with a particular focus on acid–base reactions; forces that affect climate and climate change; and the interaction of light and matter.
Text: The primary text for this course is Investigating Science 10. A numbered text will be assigned to you. Please record the number in your agenda and keep track of your text. You are responsible for returning the exact book that was loaned to you; if you lose it, you will pay to replace it.
Units of Study: Unit 1: Chemistry — Chemical Reactions
Unit 2: Earth and Space Science — Climate Change
Unit 3: Physics –- Light and Geometric Optics
Unit 4: Biology — Tissues, Organs, and Systems of Living Things
Evaluation: Tests and quizzes will take place during each unit. Labs will include the completion of formal and informal reports.
Your course grade is comprised of the following categories:
Knowledge and Understanding 30%
Thinking and Inquiry 15%
Final Exam 20%
For your information:
- please be prompt for class and bring all necessary materials to class with you
- if you are absent for a test or quiz, you will write a make-up test the day you return (with a valid admission into class)
- each student is responsible for all work missed while absent; refer to my website for information when you are away (msmwhite.educatorpages.com)
- all due dates are firm. If you are unable to meet the deadline, you MUST meet with the teacher one day prior to the due date to make alternate arrangements
- if you fail to submit an assignment by the original (or alternate) due date, a penalty of 10% per day will apply
- if you are truant the day of a test, quiz, or assignment deadline a mark of zero will be entered
3-ring binder with lined paper for your notebook
blue or black pens for notes, pencils, calculator, eraser, ruler, etc.
Participation in class is an opportunity to share and discuss your ideas and viewpoints. Good participation includes the following factors:
- giving the speaker your full attention
- contributing positively, voluntarily, and when called upon
- raising good questions
- being prepared for questions
Please sign this, have your parent/guardian sign it, and then keep it in the front of your binder.
Student signature Parent/Guardian signature