All notes and work in math class will be graded. Please keep all work and notes in one composition notebook for orderliness and ease.
Notes: All notes will be taken down in your composition notebook. Notes will be graded along with homework on a scale of 0-4. There should be a clear line separating the previous day’s homework from today’s notes. The heading should be as follow:
Rubric for Grading the Notes
· The notes are presented in a neat, clear, organized fashion that is easy to read
· All notes are completed
· Correct terminology and notations are always used, making it easy to understand what was done
· The notes have the proper heading
· The notes are presented in a neat, clear, organized fashion that is usually easy to read
· Notes are mostly completed
· Correct terminology and notations are usually used, making it fairly easy to understand what was done
· The notes have the proper heading but are missing a few items.
· The notes are presented in an organized fashion but may be hard to read at times
· Notes are partially completed
· Correct terminology and notations are used, but it is sometimes not easy to understand what was done
· The notes are missing most of the heading
· The notes appear sloppy and unorganized. It is hard to know that information goes together
· Very little notes taken
· There is little use or a lot of incorrect use, of terminology and notations.
· The notes have no heading or is missing most of the heading
Homework: Homework should be done in your composition notebook, underneath the day’s notes. All homework is due the day after they are assigned for full credit, and due by the date of the test for partial (late) credit. All homework must show all steps and scratch work, not just the answer, in order to receive full points. Each problem will be graded on a scale of 3. There should be a clear line marking the separation from your notes to your homework. The heading for your homework should be as follow:
Section: __________________ (of the book)
Rubric for Grading Homework
· The problem is completed with the correct answer and all work is shown in a neat, clear, and organized fashion that is easy to read.
· The homework has the proper heading
· The problem is partially completed with some of the work shown in a neat, clear, and organized fashion that is easy to read.
· The homework has the proper heading but might be missing a few items
· The problem has only the answer with no work shown or the work is not presented in a neat, clear, and organized fashion.
· The homework has very little of the heading
· The problem was not attempted
· Little to no heading
Notebooks will be collected on Fridays and will be returned on Monday.
Quizzes: Quizzes will be open notebook. That means students are welcome to use their notes and homework to help them with the quiz. Quizzes will be given every 2-3 section to check for understanding. Quizzes will be graded similarly to the homework.
Test and Test Corrections: There will be one test per unit we cover in class. Test will be graded on a scale of 100%. Corrections can be done for students who score below 70% and must be returned the day after they are returned to the class. Students may use notes and homework to help them with their corrections and corrections must be clear with all the work shown. If you miss the test day, tests can me made up on by appointment only.
Late Work/Make-up Work: Late work will be accepted up to 2 days after the assignment is due. One day late, minus .5 points per problem. Two days late, minus 1 points per problem.
Parent Communication: Parents will be notified when students (1) score below 70% as an average, and/or (2) are missing 3+ assignments.
Rough Grade Breakdowns:
Homework and Notes – 20%
Quizzes – 10%
Projects – 20%
Test – 50%