Barbara Goleman Senior High School
2013-2014 School Year
English II (Grade 10)
The intent of this course is to provide a foundation for students to develop skills within four key strands within English: listening and speaking, reading, writing, and viewing and representing. Within each strand are goals, objectives, and content specifications. Many skills and concepts recur throughout the strands and indicate instruction is intended to be delivered as an integrated English Language Arts curriculum.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
1.Write in a variety of forms including personal, literary, and persuasively for various audiences and purposes.
2.Use conventions and mechanics of written English, including the rules of grammar and usage, to write clearly and effectively.
3. Acquire an extensive vocabulary through reading and systematic word study.
4. Read extensively and intensively for different purposes in varied diverse selections using a variety of strategies.
5. Analyze elements for their contributions to meaning in literary texts and express and support responses to various types of texts.
6. Listen attentively for a variety of purposes and analyze and evaluate oral performances and presentations.
7. Speak clearly and effectively for a variety of purposes and audiences.