- Planted in Herb Box in January and in Bag on March 1st.
- Planted Oregano means Joy of The Mountain in Ancient Greek
- Ancient Greeks believed that cows that grazed in fields full of oregano had tastier meat
- When in bloom they have beautiful purple or pink flowers that are also edible
- The Ancient Greeks also believed that if you anoint yourself with oregano you will dream about your future spouse.
- It became popular in America after soldiers returned from Service in World War Two in the Mediterranean and were craving pizza its this reason it is often called the pizza herb
- When using dried oregano crush it a little in your hand to release the essential oils and flavor
It has 4 times the antioxidants of blueberries We're always astonished when we check the nutritional information charts for herbs. How can these tiny green leaves have so much in them?! I've you've ever seen an Oregano plant, you'll be surprised about this as well: 100g Oregano contains 159% of your daily intake of Calcium and whopping 204% of your daily intake of Iron, and a whole lot of Magnesium and vitamins K and B-6. Not to even mention its antioxidant content - Oregano contains 4 times the antioxidants of blueberries, 42 times the antioxidants of apples and 12 times the antioxidants of oranges! All this sounds more like a job for some supernut, not a tiny green leaf, doesn't it?
- Its a wonderful herb to add to pasta dishes especially tomato based, omelets, bread, roast potatoes, kebabs, chicken, lentils the list is endless