High Middle Ages Questions
1. List 8 aspects of the High Middle Ages that changed the Social Order of Medieval Europe.
2. How did the Crusades affect trade and what happened as a result?
3. How did the Crusades affect the spread of knowledge?
4. While Europe was in the chaos of the Dark Ages, what was happening in the Muslim world?
5. Because of the return of trade after the Crusades, what new class developed, and what affect did this have?
6. What was a major contributing factor to the re-growth of towns in Medieval Europe?
7. Where does the word bourgeoisie come from?
8. By the High Middle Ages, European farmers developed what new system and what did it lead to?
9. In 1309, a French Pope, Pope Clement, moved from Rome to Avignon, in France. What was this called and why did he do it?
10. How did the Avignon Captivity affect the authority of the Pope?
11. Who was Pope Gregory XI?
12. After Gregory XI died, what happened to the new Pope and what was the problem that resulted?
13. What was The Western Schism?
14. What was the result of the Western Schism and what ended it?
15. Who was John Wycliffe and what was his response to the Schism?
16. What are indulgences?
17. What was the Black Death?
18. How was the Black Death spread?
19. What affect did the Black Death have on Europe’s population?
20. How did the Black Death affect the social order of Europe?
21. What was the Hundred Years War?
22. What was the importance of the Battle of Agincourt?
23. What was the importance of the Battle of Crecy?
24. What was the outcome of the Hundred Years War?
25. What changes did the Hundred Years War cause?
26. What was the War of the Roses?
27. What affect did the War of the Roses have?
28. What does Renaissance mean?
29. Where did the Renaissance begin?
30. What contributed to the beginning of the Renaissance?
31. How was Renaissance scholarship different from Medieval scholarship?
32. What is a Renaissance man?
33. What was the Protestant Reformation?
34. Who was Martin Luther?
35. How was the invention of the printing press important to the reformation?
36. How did John Calvin contribute to the Protestant Reformation?
37. Who was John Knox?
38. How did Henry VIII contribute to the English Reformation?
39. How did the Act of Supremacy 1534 affect the Catholic Church in England?
40. What was the Age of Exploration?
41. What was the primary cause of the Age of Exploration?
42. Who started the it?
43. What was the importance of Christopher Columbus?
44. How did the Renaissance Spirit contribute to Columbus’ discovery?
45. Why is most of Central and South America referred to as Latin America? How did the Age of Exploration contribute to this?
46. What were the “Three R’s” when discussing the Age of Exploration?
47. What was the Columbian Exchange? Give some major examples, both good and bad.
48. What is the greatest contributing factor to the almost 95% decrease in Native American population after contact?
49. Who were the Aztecs, and what role did Hernando Cortes play in 1519?
50. Who were the Incas, and what role did Francisco Pizarro play between 1524-1533.
51. Who was Hernando De Soto?
52. Which areas of the New World did the French explore, and why?
53. What was the importance of LaSalle?
54. Who was Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville and why is he important to our region?
55. Which area of the New World did the English Explore?
56. What was the importance of Sir Walter Raleigh?
57. What was Roanoke, and what happened there?
58. What was the importance of James Town?
59. What is the importance of the House of Burgesses?
60. How did the Protestant Reformation spread to the New World?
61. What is the importance of the Mayflower Compact?
62. How was the Massachusetts Bay Colony, established in 1630, different from the James Town colony established in 1607?
63. How was a Joint Stock company a Renaissance version of a modern corporation?
64. Give some of the different reasons for the establishment of the colonies in the New World.