Ancient Egypt Outline
1. Why was Egypt known as the Gift of the Nile?
2. Describe how rivers were important to the Ancient civilizations.
3. How did geography affect the development of Egypt as compared to Mesopotamia?
4. What were the three geographical divisions of early Egypt?
5. What were the key features of Lower Egypt?
6. What were the key features of Middle Egypt?
7. What were the key features of Upper Egypt?
8. What were the cataracts?
9. Who was the scorpion king?
10. Who was Menes, and why was he important?
11. Describe the development of the leaders of Egypt from leaders to kings to pharaoh.
12. What is a Dynasty?
13. How did Egyptians view the Pharaoh and what impact did that have?
14. Describe the evolution of the Egyptians’ belief in their gods.
15. Why did the Egyptians believe their Pharaoh was a god.
16. How did the Egyptians belief in their Pharaoh’s divinity help the Pharaoh rule?
17. What is polytheism?
18. What powers did the gods have?
19. Describe the Egyptian outlook on the afterlife.
20. What was the Ka?
21. Why did the Egyptians mummify the bodies?
22. What would happen if the body of the dead was destroyed?
23 How did Egyptian mummification contribute to ancient medicine?
24. Why did Egyptian tombs contain people’s possessions?
25. Why were tombs often covered in Egyptian writing and pictures?
26. What was the Book of the Dead?
27. During the early stages of Egyptian history, why was the Pharaoh so important to the afterlife?
28. What was the importance of the Pyramids?
29. Who was Amon-Ra?
30. Who was Osiris?
31. What was the Judgement of Osiris?
32. Make a diagram of Ancient Egyptian Social Structure.
33. What was Ancient Egypt’s economy based on?
34. How did their economy compare to other ancient civilizations?
35. How was Egypt’s agricultural economy different from other areas of the ancient world?
36. What was the dominant architecture in ancient Egypt?
37. What does architecture tell us about a society?
38. What were hieroglyphics?
39. What was papyrus?
40. Describe some of Ancient Egypt’s contributions to science.
41. Ancient Egyptian history is divided into Three Kingdoms. What were they?
42. During which time period were the pyramids and sphinx built?
43. What does the magnificent nature of Egyptian architecture tell us about their society?
44. Describe the power of the Pharaoh during the Old Kingdom.
45. What contributed to the downfall of the Pharaohs of the Old Kingdom?
46. Why was the Middle Kingdom known as the “Age of Nobles?”
47. What were the problems with the Middle Kingdom?
48. How did the Middle Kingdom contribute to a change in Egyptian religious beliefs?
49. What were some advances of the Middle Kingdom?
50. What contributed to the downfall of the Middle Kingdom?
51. Explain how the Hyksos may have been connected to the story of Moses and the Jews in Egypt.
52. What contributed to the creation of the “New Kingdom?”
53. Who was Ahmose I?
54. Who was Hatshepsut?
55. What is a Regent, why would you need one?
56. Who was Thutmose III, and how might he be connected to the story of Moses?
57. Which Pharaoh introduced Monotheism to Egypt and why did he change his name?
58. What affect did he have on Egyptian culture?
59. What is the historical significance of King Tut?
60. How did the Assyrians affect Egypt?
61. Who was Alexander the Great?
62. What was the importance of Alexandria?
63. What happened to Alexander the Great’s empire when he died?
64. Who ruled the part including Egypt?
65. Who was Cleopatra, and what family was she from?
66. What happened to Cleopatra and Egypt by 30 B.C.?