Ancient Greece Outline Questions
1. What were 4 geographical characteristics of ancient Greece?
2. What does the term “western world” refer to?
3. How did Greece’s geography result in a strong sense of independence and freedom?
4. How did their geography play a role in their economic development?
5. How did the fact that they were sea merchants affect their cultural development?
6. What is so important about ancient Greece’s culture?
7. Why were these 3 aspects (democracy, independence and freedom, and rational thought and order) of ancient Greek culture so important to Western Civilization?
8. What is mean by the term “Classical World?”
9. What is the Aegean Sea?
10. What was the first Aegean Civilization?
11. How old was the Minoan Civilization?
12. How did the fact that they were a Sea Empire based on trade affect their cultural development?
13. What was Knossos?
14. What was Linear A?
15. What was meant that the Minoans were a leisure society?
16. Describe the main aspects of Minoan religion.
17. When was Minoan Civilization at its height and what are the two theories as to what happened to it?
18. How did the Minoans (Crete) act as a Connecting Link?
19. Where did the Mycenaean’s come from?
20. List 3 of the powerful states and their powerful states that made up Mycenaean Greece.
21. Describe the Mycenaean city.
22. Describe Mycenaean society and social structure.
23. What was Linear B?
24. What was the Trojan War?
25. What were the Mycenaean values, and how do we know what they were?
26. Who was Homer, and what did he write?
27. What were the contributing factors to the collapse of Mycenaean Civilization?
28. What were the Greek Dark Ages?
29. How did Homer’s Iliad affect later Greeks?
30. What was the purpose of the Olympic games and how did they help give the Greeks a sense of unity?
31. Why were the Greek gods called Olympians?
32. Make a list of the key Greek gods and their attributes.
33. What good aspect did the isolation created during the Dark Ages result in?
34. What was Hellenic Greece?
35. What was the key to Hellenic Greek society?
36. What were the two major parts of the Greek Polis?
37. What was the Political Structure of the Polis?
38. How did technology allow the average citizen to become more important?
39. What was the Hoplite?
40. What was the Phalanx?
41. How did the Hoplite and Phalanx change the political scene?
42. What were the main characteristics of the Greek Colonies?
43. What new class did the Colonies lead to?
44. How did the spread of Greek colonies affect people in other lands?
45. What type of government did the Mycenaeans have?
46. How did the Dorian Invasions affect Mycenaean government?
47. When the Greek city states were left to defend themselves, what happened?
48. Why was it left to the Aristocrats to defend the Polis and how did it affect them politically?
49. What began to happened when the Dorian Invasions began to end?
50. What affect did the new class of wealthy citizens have?
51. Who became tired of the Aristocracy’s domination and what did they do?
52. What is a Tyranny?
53. How did the Tyranny develop in Ancient Greece?
54. What were 2 reasons Tyrants fell out of favor?
55. List 3 positive results of Tyranny?
56. Even though Cleisthenes was a Tyrant, what did he do to contribute to Democracy in Athens?
57. What was the importance of Athens?
58. Each of the Greek Polis was unique. Compare and Contrast the 2 most influential Greek city states: Athens and Sparta.
59. What is a totalitarian state?
60. What was the highpoint of Greek Civilization and what did it start with?
61. What was the Battle of Marathon and what led up to it?
62. What led to the 2nd Persian invasion?
63. Describe the Battle of Thermopylae and why it is important.
64. What was the Battle of Salamis and what was important about it?
65. What was the Battle of Plataea and why was it important?
66. What did the victory over the Persians lead to in Greece?
67. What was the Greek Miracle who was Thales of Miletus?
68. Who was Democritus?
69. Who was Pythagoras?
70. Who were the 3 Great Greek Philosophers of the Golden Age of Greece?
71. Describe the Main ideas of each of the following Greek Philosophers: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle.
72. Who was Hypocrites?
73. Who was Herodotus?
74. Who was Thucydides?
75. Describe the two types of Greek Drama.
76. Who was Sophocles and what was his work an example of?
77. What ideal does Greek architecture represent, and what is the most well-known example?
78. What was the Delian League and how did it affect Athens?
79. What was the Age of Pericles?
80. What was the Peloponnesian League?
81. Compare the conflict between the Delian League and Peloponnesian League and the conflict during the Cold War of the 20th Century.
82. What was the Peloponnesian War, and what was the result?
83. What was Macedonia?
84. Who was Philip II of Macedon and what did he do?
85. What happened to Philip II in 336 B.C.?
86. Who was Alexander?
87. What did Alexander the Great do between 334 and 323 B.C.?
88. What was the Hellenistic Age?
89. What happened to Alexander’s Empire after his death?
90. What was the importance of the city of Alexandria?
91. Describe the 4 schools of philosophy during the Hellenistic Age.
92. Describe the key scientific advances of the Hellenistic Age.