1. Use commas when you have a series of more than two words.
Example: I like oranges, apples, and peaches.
If you use two words in your sentence, it will look like this example where no commas are needed.
Example: I like oranges and apples.
2. Use commas in dates. Example: April 17, 2010. If you write the day of the week, use another comma.
Example: Saturday, April 17, 2010
3. Use commas in compound sentences.
Example: Basketball is a great sport, but I like baseball better.
4. Use commas between the names of cities and states. Example: Purvis, Mississippi
5. Use commas in friendly letters. Example:
I hope you have learned a lot in second grade this year. I will miss you next year. Always do your best.