Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell's Kindergarten Newsletter
Week of February 19, 2019 - February 22, 2019
There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, February 18 in recognition of Presidents' Day. School resumes on Tuesday, February 19. Have a wonderful three day weekend!
School will dismiss early on Friday, February 22 - 11:40 am.
Mr. Ebron, the PE teacher, is requesting donations for Hoops for Heart and Jump Rope for Heart be collected Friday, March 1.
Our eighth grade buddies will be hosting a Mardi Gras celebration in the Fallon Center on Friday, March 1. There will be games, face painting and other fun activities for all students. Please read the upcoming Wednesday Mailer for more information.
School will dismiss early on Friday, March 1 - 11:40 am.
We will be attending the Ash Wednesday Mass at 8:15 am on Wednesday, March 6. You are welcome to join us for the Mass.
The next Dress Down Day is Wednesday, March 13.
The Third Quarter of school ends on Friday, March 15. Fourth Quarter of school begins on Monday, March 18. School is in session on March 18.
- Introduce Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl, Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen, Red Robot, Sammy Snake, Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Focus on letter/sound: Oo
- Review letter/sound: Mm, Ss, Aa, Tt, Cc, Pp, Nn, Bb, Ff, Ii, Gg, Rr, Dd
- Identify beginning, middle and final letter sounds in words
- Blend onset and rime : /j/ /am/ - jam or /b/ /all/ - ball
- Segment onset and rime: cup - /k/ /up/ or box - /b/ /ox/
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -ag, -am, -an, -ap, -at, -ib, -id, -ig, -im, -in, -ip, -it
- Focus on sight words: make, play
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, see, we, a, to, come, me, my, with, you, what, are, now, is, how, find, this, will, be, go, for
- Review labels and explain how labels are used to identify objects within a picture
- Review captions
- Review verbs (action words)
- Review nouns and Proper nouns (naming words)
- Review adjectives (describing words)
- Identify rhyming words in stories and poems
- Introduce antonyms
- Introduce pronouns
- Rview similes
- Review synonyms
- Discuss author's purpose
- Review cause and effect within a story
- Discuss main idea within a story
- Identify story structure: characters, settings, events
Read Alouds: "The Best of Friends," "Simon and Molly Plus Hester," and Poems About Friends
Teacher Table - read decodable and leveled readers ( Lesson 21 - "Mouse and Bear" and "Kevin and Lucy")
Work on Writing - draw and write in your journal about about a friend
Word Work - color, cut and paste pictures that begin with the short vowel o
Listening - listen to a story about friends and complete the listening log
We will begin to learn about money. The children will learn to identify the following coins: pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. They will also learn the value of each coin.
The children will listen to Bible stories this week.
We will learn about our country's national symbols. At the end of the week, we will begin to discuss nutrition and the five food groups: protein, vegetables, fruit, grain, and dairy.
Everyone has had a chance to be a Star Student. We are proud of their leadership in class.
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Everyone has had a chance to be a Book Club reader. We enjoyed all the wonderful books brought to school!
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal days. Your child will be served a cup of water during snack time, so a juice box or other beverage is not necessary.
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell