Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell's Kindergarten Newsletter
September 24, 2018 - September 27, 2018
Friday, September 28th is a Professional Development Day for teachers. There will be NO SCHOOL on this day. School resumes on Monday, October 1st.
We will be going on our first field trip on Tuesday, October 2nd to the Museum of Natural Science in downtown Raleigh. We will attend the Animals 2X2 program. Please read the attached letter and permission form. The permission form is due by Monday, September 24th.
A Scholastic Book Club book order form is included with this week's work folder. If you are interested in ordering some great books for your child, then please complete the order online by Thursday, September 27th. The class code is J8HKY.
We will be attending the 8:15 am Mass on Friday, October 5th. School will dismiss at 11:40 am. The Fall Festival is also scheduled for Friday, October 5th.
The children will be attending the Living Rosary service in the church on Monday, October 8th at 1:30 pm.
The next Dress Down Day is scheduled for Wednesday, October 10th. Your child does not have to wear their school uniform on this day.
There will be a Home and School Association (HASA) meeting on Thursday, October 11th in the Fallon Center at 7:00 pm. We look forward to seeing everyone there!
The school's Talent Show is scheduled for Friday, October 12th in the school gym at 12:45 pm and 7:00 pm.
The first quarter of school ends on Tuesday, October 16th.
Class Pictures, Retakes and Make-ups are scheduled for Wednesday, October 17th. Also, the second quarter of school begins!
Parent-Teacher Conferences will begin on Wednesday, October 24th. It is an early dismissal day -11:40 am. Conferences start at 1:00 pm. More information will be sent home in the Wednesday Mailer about signing up for a time for your child's parent-teacher conference. There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, October 25th (Parent-Teacher Conferences) and on Friday, October 26th.
"Kite Flying," "Kite Festival Day," and "The Little Red Hen"
- Introduce Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl, Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen, Red Robot, Sammy Snake, Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Focus on letter/sound: Ss
- Review letter/sound: Mm
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and
- Review labels and explain how labels are used to identify objects within a picture
- Review captions
- Review verbs as action words
- Review nouns as a person, place, animal or thing
- Identify rhyming words in stories and poems
- Review synonyms
- Discuss main idea within each story
- Identify story structure: characters, settings, events
- Teacher Table - read decodable and leveled books (Lesson 5 - At the Fair, The Costume, My Play House)
- Work on Writing - draw and write in journal, "I help..."
- Word Work - color, cut and paste pictures that begin with letter/sound /s/
- Read to Self - match pictures to letters/sounds /h/ and /s/
The children will continue to learn about geometry and shapes. We will identify plane figure shapes such as circles, triangles, squares and rectangles.
The children will learn to experience inner peace through silence. We will also discuss how the church is a holy place where God is present.
We will continue to discuss living/nonliving things and animal classifications such as amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, and fish. We are looking forward to our field trip to the Museum of Natural Sciences scheduled for Tuesday, October 2nd. Please sign and return field trip permission form by Monday, September 24th.
Our Star Student for the week is Will Gephart. Please send a photo of your child to school on Monday, so that we may use it for a writing activity.
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Our Kinder Book Club reader for the week is Reese Raboin. Please send a book that your child would like to share with the class on Thursday.
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal days. Your child will be served a cup of water during snack time, so a juice box or other beverage is not necessary.
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell