Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell's Kindergarten Newsletter
Week of January 7, 2019 - January 11, 2019
Wednesday, December 19 is an early dismissal - 11:40 am. Christmas Break begins Thursday, December 20 through Wednesday, January 2. School resumes on Thursday, January 3. We wish everyone a blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year!
Mrs. Harrell and I will continue assessing the children on the following skills listed on the Kindergarten report card: letter/sound recognition, uppercase/lowercase letter match, color words, sight words, full name, age, birthday, home address, phone number as well as many other skills. If your child does not know their birthday, home address and/or phone number, please work with him/her at home. The Kindergarten report card will be sent home on Monday, January 14. The report card envelope will need to be signed and returned by Wednesday, January 16.
We will be attending the 8:15 am Mass on Friday, January 4. You are welcome to attend.
Wednesday, January 16 is a Dress Down Day!
Reregistration for the school year of 2019 - 2020 will begin on Sunday, January 20.
- Introduce Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl, Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen, Red Robot, Sammy Snake, Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Review letter/sound: Mm, Ss, Aa, Tt, Cc, Pp, Nn, Bb, Ff,
- Identify beginning, middle and final letter sounds in words
- Blend onset and rime : /j/ /am/ - jam or /b/ /all/ - ball
- Segment onset and rime: cup - /k/ /up/ or box - /b/ /ox/
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -ag, -am, -an, -ap, -at, -ib, -id, -ig, -im, -in, -ip, -it
- Focus on sight words: are, now
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, see, we, a, to, come, me, my, with, you, what
- Review labels and explain how labels are used to identify objects within a picture
- Review captions
- Review verbs (action words)
- Review nouns (naming words)
- Review adjectives (describing words)
- Identify rhyming words in stories and poems
- Introduce similes
- Review synonyms
- Discuss author's purpose
- Review cause and effect within a story
- Discuss main idea within a story
- Identify story structure: characters, settings, events
"What a Beautiful Sky!," "How Many Stars in the Sky?," " and "What Will the Weather Be Like?"
Teacher Table - read decodable and leveled readers ( Lesson 15 - At the Pond, Splash, Look in the Woods)
Work on Writing - write in journal about something you see in the sky
Word Work - color, cut and paste a word family sentence
Read to Self - complete word search then read to self
We will be identifying, writing and comparing numbers twenty-six through thirty-one.
The children will listen to several Bible stories.
We will begin to discuss the season of winter and begin a mini unit about Polar Bears. As a class, we will research online for facts about Polar Bears to complete our booklet.
Our Star Student for the week is Bluebelle Thelen. Please send a photo of your child to school on Monday, so that we may use it for a writing activity.
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Our Kinder Book Club reader for the week is Max File. Please send a book that your child would like to share with the class on Thursday.
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal days. Your child will be served a cup of water during snack time, so a juice box or other beverage is not necessary.
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell