Exploring Technology (TE012YA)
In this course, students learn all about invention and innovation. They have opportunities to study the history of inventions and innovations, including their impacts on society. They learn about the core concepts of technology and about the various approaches to solving problems, including engineering design and experimentation. Students apply their creativity in the invention and innovation of new products, processes, or systems. Finally, students learn about how various inventions and innovations impact their lives.
Students participate in engineering-design activities to understand how criteria, constraints, and processes affect designs. Students are involved in activities and experiences where they learn about brainstorming, visualizing, modeling, constructing, testing, experimenting, and refining designs. Students also develop skills in researching for information, communicating design information, and reporting results.
During this course students will complete project/problem based design challenges to develop problem solving skills. Students will work in groups of various sizes to solve a problem and present their findings to the rest of the class. This course will help develop and reinforce collaboration, presentation, reading, writing and critical thinking skills.
Purpose of Course:
Exploring Technology prepares students with an understanding of what is technology, the universal systems model, and opportunities to apply the engineering design process in problem solving.
UNIT 1: MEET TECHNOLOGY
This first unit explores different types of technology. Students come to understand your roles in developing technology individually and collectively by modeling best team practices. Students also create innovating existing technologies by analyzing societal impacts and needs. This unit will be broken into 3 lessons:
Lesson 1: Technology to the Rescue
- I can identify why humans develop technology to meet individual needs and wants.
- I can examine how products are improved and invented based on current needs to solve problems that could not be solved without new and improved technology.
- I can utilize creativity to develop technology to meet a need or want in order to have a better understanding of of its need in the design of technology.
- I can analyze and explain how science, mathematics, and history ensure that technology is developed with more precision and accuracy in meeting the needs of individuals.
- I can recognize how current technologies are are often a result of improvements made over time based on current needs and wants using a methodical process studying historical developments of the specific technology and other similar technology.
- I can develop presentations to demonstrate how technology has been modified to meet the demands of society, industry, and/or individuals.
Lesson 2: System Design: What Every Technology Needs
- I can identify how technologies are interdependent.
- I can explain the four essential elements of a four part, closed loop system.
- I can examine how each part of a closed loop system is necessary to ensure that the technology performs its desired goal and/or function.
- I can analyze how different technologies depend on similar and different sets of processes.
- I can demonstrate and explain how the quality of technology is often a result of the integrity of the system and the resources used in the process.
Lesson 3: Transforming Resources into Technology: From Production to You
- I can explain how all technologies depend on manufacturing technologies.
- I can analyze how manufacturing technologies use a system design to produce products of technology that may use more than one process to change the form of materials to produce durable and non-durable goods.
- I can identify the difference between durable and non-durable goods such as clothing, medicines, and processed foods.
- I can examine how technology has used a synthetics versus natural resources would preserve the environment.
- I can analyze how teaming is similar to how technology needs to be developed and used with a consideration of ethical issues.
- I can develop an assistive medical device using manufacturing processes that would improve healthcare.