Chapter 21 Worksheet
Directions: Match the term in Column I with the definition in Column II. Write the letter of the correct definition
in the blank at left.
1. chemical weathering
2. rock rust
5. mechanical weathering
8. deflation hollows
10. longshore current
13. drainage basin
14. soil horizon
a. caused by oxidation
b. mixture of organic matter, rock
particles, water, and air
c. sequence of soil horizons
d. movement of eroded materials
e. transporting agent drops its load
of eroded materials
f. fan-shaped sediment deposit at
g. land area that gathers water for a
h. removal of surface materials
i. random sediment of all sizes
deposited by glaciers
j. landforms where wind is the
dominant agent of erosion
k. movement of water parallel to
l. removal of small particles by wind
m. actions of water, air, and other
forces cause weathering
n. chemical reactions cause breakdown
o. layer of soil with a unique texture
Directions: On the lines provided, briefly summarize the water cycle. Write your answer in complete sentences.
Directions: Fill in the blanks using the correct terms from the list below.
infiltration permeability water table
aquifer absolute dating relative dating
uniformitarianism superposition unconformity
2. The process by which water enters Earth to become groundwater is
3. The ____________________ separates the saturated zone from the
4. ____________________ is a measure of how well a fluid can pass through
5. A rock unit that can transmit water through its pore space is a(n)
6. ____________________ is the process of assigning something a precise
7. ____________________ is the process of placing things in their proper
sequence in time.
8. ____________________ is a theory that the laws of nature operate today as
they have in the past.
9. ____________________ states that the oldest rocks in an undisturbed sequence
of rock layers will be at the bottom.
10. A gap in the rock record is a(n) ____________________.
Directions: In each of the following statements, a term has been scrambled. Unscramble the term and write it
on the line provided.
1. A real understanding of enraut comes from learning how
2. Variables that control lmaeccihna weathering include the
nature of the material being weathered, climate, and time.
3. Cycles of lcahceim weathering affect all environments from
land to sea.
4. Different rock sfnoorimta tend to weather at different rates.
5. The iMpipsissis River drainage basin extends from the
Appalachian Mountains to the Rocky Mountains.
6. Floodplains are part of a river but they are only dseugbrme
7. A region where winter snowfall exceeds summer melt has
the potential to form a(n) rgeliac.
8. Freshwater supplies are constantly being dreehpslien through
the water cycle.
9. All the water that is naturally stored dunnudoerrg is called
10. Ypteirlmieba is a measure of how well a fluid can pass
through a material.
11. James Hutton proposed the theory of musniinfaoirrmait.
12. The principle of original horizontality states that
ysreadtinme layers always start off as horizontal layers.
13. The process of matching distinctive fossils from different
regions is called ncooirtrael.