Click here to go back to the
web site for Social Studies 7B
For this assignment you may choose any nation in northern or western Africa - essentially from Egypt west and south around the continent to Ghana. You may also select Mali.
What can we learn about the nations of northern Africa?
Creating a visual depiction of information about a nation is a great way to learn more about a country - and share what you have learned.
We will identify and explain key features about your chose country and we will display them in poster form.
- How can you create a poster that will best share the information you gather about your nation?
You will create a poster about the northern or western African nation you choose. Your poster will meet the requirements stated below.
In addition to your poster you will write an essay about you chosen nation. Your essay will also meet the requirements stated below.
Your poster needs to include the following:
- A map of Africa showing where your nation is located.
- A map of your nation with its name shown.
- A graph illustrating something about the physical characteristics of your nation. This could be natural resources, crops, environmental challenges such as desertification, elevation changes, rainfall - the possibilities are immense.
- A brief paragraph - written by you, explaining one aspect of the culture of your nattion.
- A paragraph explaining the natural resources of your nation.
- A paragraph related to something about the people of your nation.
- The flag of your nation.
- A photo of a well known landform in your nation.
- A photo of well known man-made structure in your nation.
- A photo of a cultural event in your nation.
Your essay needs to include the following:
- A description of the physcial geography of your nation.
- A brief history of your nation.
- Challenges currently facing your nation.
- A description of the type of government your nation has.
- Choose one aspect of the lives of the people there and describe how it affects their daily lives.
- Your essay MUST be written in your own words. However, you may quote or do a close paraphrase of outside sources. They may not make up more than about 1/5 of your essay.
- You need include a citation page with at least two sources. Use the formatting you have learned in English.
Your essay should be about six or seven paragraphs.
Does the poster meet all the requirements?
Possible - 80 points
Is the poster missing one or two elements?
Possible 65 points
Does the poster missing three or more elements?
Possible 55 points
Is the poster well designed with obvious care taken for detail and accuracy?
Possible - 25 points
Are the paragraphs clear and accurate, with no errors and are they relevant to the other material in the poster?
Possible - 25 points
- 80 points
All sentences are well constructed, correct and easy to follow. Definitions are clearly stated. Expression is clear. Information is accurate.
- 70 points
All sentences are well constructed, correct and easy to follow. Definitions are somewhat clear. Expression is somewhat obscure. Information is accurate.
- 60 points
All sentences are moderately well constructed, but may be difficult to follow. Definitions are somewhat clear. Expression is somewhat obscure. Information is accurate.
- 50 points
All sentences are not well constructed, and may be difficult to follow. Definitions are somewhat clear. Expression is somewhat obscure. Information is not reliable.
- 40 points or less
Most sentences are not well constructed. Definitions are difficult to understand. Expression is unclear. Information is not reliable.
NOTE > WOW extra credit is available for your poster. If you create a poster that has WOW factor - one that goes well beyond just the basics listed here. You can receive up to 30 points extra credit.
Here is the link to CIA World Factbook