Click here to go back to the
web site for History 9A.
How did the split in the Church, the Hundred Years War, and the plague change Europe?
For this assignment we will look a the three key events that occurred or began in the century from 1300 to 1400.
During this lesson, students will evaluate the key factors related to one of the assigned events from the time period we are studying.
See the handout.
See the class handout.
You will notice that this assignment is broken into four sections. You need to pay attention to the instruction in each section.
PART ONE - SHORT ESSAYS
Directions >> On a separate sheet of paper, create a clear, concise short essay of two or three paragraphs to four of the following questions. That means you will write a total of ten to fifteen paragraphs. And they will be scored according the writing rubric.
- How did the movement of the Church from Rome to Avignon affect the power of the papacy? How did the Western of Papal Schism cause people to lose faith?
- What were the causes of the 100 Years War? What were the outcomes and how did it affect the histories of France and England?
- What drove the plague to be so deadly? What have we learned about it since it first hit Europe?
- How did the plague contribute to the breakup of the feudal system?
- Describe how the Crusades impacted Europe and the Middle East.
- Explain some of the connections between the Plague and the beginnings of the Renaissance.
- How did the Black Plague weaken the power of the Church?
PART TWO - VOCABULARY
On a separate sheet of paper, create a simple, accurate, contextual and clear definition of each the following words or phrases with two or three well-written sentences.
- William the Conqueror
- The Norman Invasion
- The Children’s Crusade
- King Richard
- Magna Carta
- The Holy Land
- Pope Urban
- Norman Invasion
- Bayeux Tapestry
- Avignon Split
- The Black Death
See the back of the printed assignment for the rest of the work.
Click here to view a printed copy of the assignment.
Click here to open the online textbook chapters that go with this assignment.
Click here to view the PDF about life in the Middle Ages we used in class.
Click here to view the PDF about the hundred years of change we used in class.
Click here to view the PDF file of the simplified timeline of Middle Age historical events.
Click here to view the PowerPoint about the Norman Invasion and the Crusades we used in class. Click here for the notes page that accompanied it.
Click here to view the PDF file with the timeline about the changes that tore through Europe between 1000 and 1600.
Click here to view the PowerPoint about the Avignon Papacy we used in class.
The Black Death
1, 2, 3
The Hundred Years War
1, 2, 3
The Great Schism / Western Schism
1, 2, 3