Click here to go back to the
web site for History 9A.
How did the Black Death, the Avignon Papacy, and Hundred Years' War help build toward the Renaissance?
The anointing of Pope Gregory X!, 1370
Note that as the Hundred Years' War rages outside the Papal Palace at Avignon, all is calm and proper within.
The Danse Macabre (Dance of Death) from a church in Slovenia, about 1453.
How could these horrific events help build toward the great Renaissance explosion in learning? Good questions. We will explore them in this unit.
During this lesson students will evaluate the key factors of the plague, the Avignon Papacy, and the Hundred Years' War in light of how they led to the Renaissance?
As stated above.
Complete a simple response of a two or three paragraphs to three of the following questions. That means you will write six to nine paragraphs. Be sure to put your answer in context!
NOTE >> If you work with a partner - that means ONLY two people working together - you may complete this assignment with four topics.
Context - the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed, the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning.
- Why did the plague spread so quickly?
- How were nations affected by the plague?
- How did the plague change the structure of society?
- What was the cause of the Hundred Years War?
- How did the 100 Years' War affect France and England?
- Why is Joan of Arc venerated in the memory of the French?
- Who were the flagellants and why did they have such and impact?
- How were the Western Schism and the Avignon Papacy connected? How were they different?
- How did the 100 Years' War change western Europe?
- How did the view of the papacy change between 1300 and 1450?
Here is the link to the handout we used in class.
Here is the link to the PowerPoint about the Avignon Papacy we used in class.
Here are the notes about the Avignon Papacy.
Here is the link to the PDF file about the calamities of the 1300s. This includes the famous dot matrix of power.
Brtiannica article about the effects of the Black Death. Note, you need to look toward the end of the article.
History.com article about the effects of the Black Death.
History Crunch article about the Black Death.
Short article about the 100 Years' War.
A summary of the war.
The Avignon Papacy
1, 2, 3