Adult Education Science
Stacy Graham Teacher
1.What is density?
- What kind of property is density?
- List the following from lowest to highest density: iron, gold, steel, water, air, silver, and aluminum.
- What measurements must be made before you can calculate the density of a material?
- What are the units of density for a liquid?
- What is specific gravity?
- What determines the height at which a hydrometer floats in a liquid?
- A hydrometer is a device that can be used to measure the specific gravity of a ___________.
- What is displacement?
- What is buoyancy?
- If a buoyant force of 6 N acts on a block placed in water, what is the weight of the water that the block displaces?
- When will an object float in water?
- A metal block is 20 cm long, 10cm high, and 5 cm wide. If submerged in water, how much water will the block displace? If the density of water is 1g/cm3 what will be the buoyant force on the block?
- Density is measured in
- Archimedes discovered that objects weigh less when they
- If the buoyant force on an object is equal to the object’s weight, then the object will
- If a rock displaces 50 ml, the volume of the rockis
- To find the density of a substance you must measure
Adult Education Science
Elements and Atoms
- What is an element?
- There are more than _______ known elements.
- What are atoms?
- What are the main parts of Dalton’s atomic theory?
- Define nucleus, proton, neutron, electron.
- Where are protons found in an atom?
- What did Rutherford discover about an atom?
- Where did Bohr say that electrons are found in the atom?
- Sketch Rutherford’s model and Bohr’s model on the back.
11.According to the modern atomic model, where are protons, neutrons, and electrons found?
- Why is the atomic number of an element important?
12. What is the atomic number?
13.How many electrons are there in an atom of aluminum?
14.What is an atomic mass?
15. What is mass number?.
16. Explain why the mass number of an element can never be less than the atomic number of that element.
17. What is an electron cloud?
18. What causes and electron to change energy levels?
19. The ______ energy level is located closest to the nucleus of an atom.
20. The second energy level can hold up to _______ electrons.
21. What is a chemical symbol?
22. How were elements arranged in Mendeleev’s periodic table?.
23. How is the modern periodic table different from Mendeleev’s periodic table?
24. What are the horizontal rows of the periodic table called?
25. How are elements in the same group similar?.
26. What are three properties of metals?27 Elements to the right of the zig zag line in the periodic table are______.
27. Most ________are good conductors of heat.
28. What is a noble gas? List all 6 of them
29. Where are halogens located in the periodic table?
30. Why were noble gases once called inert gasses?
31. What causes atoms of the same element to have different atomic masses?
32. What identifies an atom of an element?