50 to 75 percent of words in text material are common words which are repeated. These 220 words are called the Dolch Sight Words. Because these words are used to hold thoughts together, these words must be recognized at glance before a child can read with confidence.
There are a few ways that you can help your child learn these sight words:
- Wordo—Played just like the game Bingo, but this version uses sight words instead of numbers on a grid card.
- Concentration—Sight word concentration cards can easily be made using index cards. Simply write each word on two cards, shuffle and lay face down to play.
- Word Searches—Create word searches featuring sight words or use one of the many available on the Internet.
- Go Fish—Go fish cards can easily be made using index cards. Simply write each word on two cards, shuffle and deal to play.
- Letter Magnet Spelling—To reinforce sight word spelling, provide the child with a set of letter magnets and a metal surface. Call out sight words and ask the child to use the magnets to spell the word.
Below are some sight words that our kids should know by the end of the year.