Sara M. Root
1721 West 3rd Ave. Unit A, Durango Colorado
"Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own." -- Nikos Kazantzakis
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins
"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." -- Kahlil Gibran
"The greatest sign of a success for a teacher...is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist." -- Maria Montessori
Eager to bring elementary students into the twenty-first century using a unique combination of education experience coupled with background in PowerPoint, Publisher Newsletter, SmartBoard, Concept maps, Electronic Portfolio using web-based template, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft excel. I’m currently working on getting my degree in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education.
· Experienced in use of the Internet and educational software.
· Dedicated to enthusiastic and dynamic teaching as a means of creating and nurturing a lifelong love of knowledge in children.
Education, Honors, and Certifications
Elementary Education/ Early Childhood Education
· Fort Lewis College 2009-Present
Early Childhood Education
· Colorado State University 2007-2009
Certified in Elementary (K-6) and Early Childhood Education
Plan and instruct each subject area using wide variety of teaching aids, motivational and implementation strategies to engage students in active learning.
Incorporate learning modality principles into classroom and individual instruction. Develop and conduct inter-grade activities. Utilize Heath automated Math management system.
Implement technological approaches to subject material. Strong background in PowerPoint, Publisher Newsletter, SmartBoard, Concept maps, Electronic Portfolio using web-based template, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft excel. Took a tTechnology in Education course at Fort Lewis College.
Technology in Education
Currently taking Technology in Education Class, which gives a short background on many types of technology. Have been given the opportunity to pick 5 topics that we want to learn more in detail. The unique part of this class was that we learned not only how to use each technology as a teacher, but how we could get the students to create and use each different technology we looked at.
· Software (IBM and MAC environments): Microsoft Windows® and DOS, WordPerfect, Lotus123, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Publisher Newsletter, SmartBoard, Concept maps, and Electronic Portfolio using web-based template.
· Working knowledge of the Internet
· System installations and debugging; terminal/printer operations
Professional Development in Education
· Durango Sitters starting summer 2011
· Field Study 60 hours September 2009-Present
· B.A.C.E. Camp (Before and after school program) August 2008- May 2009 Fort Collins , Colorado
· Nanny for two girls ages 3 and 5 January 2009-May 2009 Fort Collins, Colorado
Computer Related Training Position
· Technology in Education
Fort Lewis College Durango Colorado