WEATHER Wind and Clouds
Click on launch, click on drifting balloon and weather probe. The weather probe can be moved along the path of the balloon in order to see what the temperature and other information are for the balloon’s location. Circle the correct answer for questions below.
1. Which of the following statements is FALSE?
A. Air temperatures over the ocean remain fairly constant throughout a 24-hour cycle.
B. Air temperatures over the land can vary significantly throughout the day.
C. Air temperatures over land reach their highest values in the mid-afternoon.
D. Air temperatures over land are always higher than air temperatures over the ocean.
2. At what time of day would you be most likely to find that the air over water is significantly warmer than the air over land nearby? A. 5:00 AM B. 11:00 AM C. 4:00 PM D. 9:00 PM
3. What are sea breezes?
4. What are land breezes?
5.As you sit on the beach, you notice that the breeze, which had been blowing toward the water from the land, shifts so that it is blowing off the water toward land. What event has just occurred?
A. Clouds have begun to form over the water. B. The temperature over the land has reached its highest point for that day.
C. The temperature over the land has become higher than the temperature over the water.
D. The temperature over the water has become higher than the temperature over the land.
6. At 3:15 one afternoon, the temperature over the land reaches its highest value for the day — about 89°F. The temperature over the adjacent water is about 72°F. What would the expected weather conditions be at this time?
A. Cloudy skies and a sea breeze B. Clear skies and a sea breeze C. Clear skies and a land breeze D. Cloudy skies and a land breeze
Click on cloud typing, select one of the sets of pictures by clicking on it, then go through the cloud images and classify. Go through the images and classy at least 15 images.
7. How many points did you get?
Weather Lab: https://ssec.si.edu/weather-lab
Click on launch this app, select Pacific Ocean gyre and answer the following questions
8. What is the temperature of the water like?
9. where does it flow from?
10. What type of air mass 1 is associated with it?
11. What types of air mass 2 is associated with it?
Click reset, Click on Gulf Loop.
12.What is the water temperature like?
13.Describe the path the loop takes.
14. What type of air mass 1 is associated with it?
15. What types of air mass 2 is associated with it?
Click reset, Click on North American Gyre.
16. What is the water temperature like?
17. Describe the direction it moves.
18. What type of air mass 1 is associated with it?
19. What types of air mass 2 is associated with it?