Extensive research has shown that tutoring can be a highly effective way to strengthen a student's reading ability. The US Department of Education has identified the following as direct results and advantages of tutoring in reading:
- Highly supportive atmosphere (especially through the use of one-on-one instruction).
- Efficient use of time, with many more opportunties for the student to read a variety of material.
- Immediate feedback and support is provided to help the student stay on track.
- Increased reading performance.
- Increased motivation and decreased frustration.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills (bond is established with the tutor).
- Ongoing monitoring of progress to ensure learning is taking place.