Lesson 7: Analyzing Speech- Assessment
Lesson Overview: Students will put together the lessons to evaluate a speech for the reviewed aspects of good public speaking and speeches.
Resources or Materials Needed:
· Copies of the transcript of the Nixon Checker’s Speech
· Computer with Internet Access
· Multimedia Projector
· Colored Pencils
Lesson Objective: Given a video of a publically delivered speech students will identify with 100% accuracy effective verbal and non-verbal traits demonstrated by the speaker.
Given a transcript of a publically delivered speech students will with 100% accuracy identify rhetorical devices, syntax techniques, and rhetorical appeals in the speech.
Time: One hour
· Students will review the concepts discussed in the unit that define good public speaking and analyze speech text for quality content and strategy.
· The teacher will distribute the speech evaluation guide.
· The teacher will review the speech evaluation guide and refresh students on the concepts discussed.
· The teacher will distribute copies of the transcript from President Nixon’s “Checker Speech.”
· The teacher will post a link to the video of Richard Nixon reciting the speech known as the “Checker’s Speech.”
· Students will use the speech evaluation guide to mark the text and take notes on the effectiveness of the speech.
· Students will discuss their ratings in a small group.
· Assess students’ work as they evaluate and discuss their analysis.
· Students will continue to use these skills throughout the curriculum in evaluating media.