Standard and Honors Chemistry Syllabus
Instruction aligned with the National Science Education Standards and the Massachusetts State Standards
Full Year Course
Instructor: Susan Seery
Department Nights Monday and Wednesday
Grading: Bellingham Hand Book
Student centered with an emphasis on four themes. The themes are Systems, order and organization; Evidence, models, and explanations; Change, constancy, and measurement; Form and function.
II. Course Aims and Objectives:
Aims: Science as Inquiry
This course will provide chemistry education through activities labs, discussion, and discovery of critical concepts through inquiry and application of the gained knowledge.
III Specific Learning Objectives:
State Standards http://www.doe.mass.edu/
1. Class attendance and participation policy: Regular attendance usually promises top grades.
2. Course readings:
Chemistry Matter and Change
Glencoe.com / McGraw Hill
(1) Formal Lab Reports
(2) Mini Lab, Discovery Lab
(3) Standing Reading Assignment
(4) Homework Packet Issued for Each Chapter
(5) Supplements daily
IV. Grading Procedures: Grades
1. Class works, packets, labs and participation 40%
2. Tests and quizzes 60%
3. Late work will not be accepted. In the event of an absence, during a lab day, the lab must be made up after school within 3 school days of return.
V. Academic Integrity
All students are expected to show respect and use positive communication skills.
VI. Accommodations for students with disabilities
I follow all IEP and 504 plans as required.
"In teaching others we teach ourselves" - Proverb
The Team at Educator Pages