In science we are currently studying Keeping Your Body Systems Healthy
1. How can you keep your digestive system healthy?
- Problems of the digestive system can include indigestion, diarrhea, and constipation.
- Ways to prevent digestive system problems include not overeating, keeping germs out of food, eating foods low in fat and high in fiber, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly.
2. How can you keep your circulatory system healthy?
- Problems of the circulatory system can include anemia, high blood pressure, and atherosclerosis.
- Ways to prevent circulatory system problems include eating foods rich in iron, limiting fat and salt in the diet, getting plenty of vigorous exercise, and avoiding harmful drugs such as nicotine.
3. How can you keep your nervous system healthy?
- Ways to prevent head injuries include wearing a helmet for activities such as bicycling, being careful when diving into water, and wearing a safety belt when riding in a car.
- Ways to prevent injuries to the eyes and ears include wearing sunglasses outdoors, wearing safety goggles for certain activities, avoiding loud sounds, and protecting the ears from flying objects.
- Ways to avoid being harmed by drugs include using medicines correctly and saying no to drugs such as alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine.
Chapter 2D Vocabulary
Indigestion one or more symptoms, such as stomachache, that occur when the body has difficulty digesting food
Anemia a condition in which the number of healthy red blood cells or the amount of hemoglobin is low
High blood pressure a disease in which blood is pumped through the arteries with too much force
Atherosclerosis a disease in which fatty substances build up on the inside walls of the arteries
Concussion a condition caused by a sudden movement of the brain inside the skull, usually involving a brief loss of consciousness