August 21, 2017
Dear students, parents and guardians,
Welcome! Students are an important part of McMahon's Math World.
During the upcoming school year, we will become partners in one of the most important jobs we have…helping students become all that he/she can be. My primary objective is to promote academic, emotional, and social growth within students. The administrators, teachers, and guidance counselors at Sawgrass Springs Middle School are committed to this concept in order to provide the best possible education for your child. We ask all to participate with to ensure an exciting and successful school year for each student.
One of our goals is to have students find the joy in learning by encouraging him/her to participate fully in schoolwork. Being prepared is the first step to success, so I expect students to have all of their necessary supplies and assignments each day.
In order to develop good study habits, I suggest students plan to set aside a daily study/homework period at home. I have found this to be most successful when the same time period is used each day. Students will be given rubrics for each unit, and are expected to copy the dats of homework, quizzes and tests from the assignment board at the beginning of each unit. These valuable rubrics will help students remember which assignments are due, assist in keeping parents up-to-date on progress, and serve as a parent/teacher communication tool. I greatly appreciate parental nightly review of assigned work. Please know… there is “something” to do at home each night for math class. Students will also receive a planner for any other items to be noted in.
I know that as a person matures, it is essential that he/she learn to assume responsibility for his/her actions and for the consequences of these actions. Please take a few moments to review some basic expectations and procedures.
· Be in your seat and ready to work at the beginning of class. Dismissal is by your teacher…not the clock.
· Have your supplies every day.
· Copy homework dates to rubric as soon as posted…and complete all assignments. Take pride in your work.
· Understand that there will be “something” to do for each class every night.
· Turn in assignments on time.
· Raise your hand, and wait to be recognized.
· Ask questions.
· Exercise self-control.
· Make-up all assignments, tests, and/or quizzes in a timely manner. This is the STUDENTS responsibility!
· Keep hands, feet, objects, and unkind words to yourself!
· Leave the gum/candy/toys at home.
· Check Pinnacle regularly. Have a clear idea of your status in each class.
· Basically…show respect at all times…to authority, each other, property, the rules, and YOURSELF!
Consequences (depending on offense)
2. Time out
3. Loss of privileges
4. Phone call
The school website address is https://www.browardschools1.com/ssm.
Your child’s day-to-day grades and attendance are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week on Pinnacle. You can get to Pinnacle through the school website. This is a FABULOUS tool!
Feel free to contact me as questions or concerns arise. Email is BEST! (My email addresses is below.)
I look forward to an exciting and rewarding partnership with ALL of you. Open House will be in September and is a very important night.