What do you think about using the technology your students already have?
If you decide to implement some of these awesome, new-age technologies into your classroom please view the following tips, rules, and handouts! Feel free to use them in your classroom. Good luck and remember be patient and try it once, reflect, adjust, try it again!
Tips for Successful Implementation
*Start SLOWLY there are no awards for being the first to integrate cell phones--but there will be consequences if not well done.
*Start with ONE class first. This might not be your “smartest” class. You need to pick the class that is willing to try new things and not judge you if it doesn’t quite work out.*Be HONEST with your students. Tell them what you’re doing, why you’re doing it, and that you’re not sure how it will all work out.
*Decide first what your current comfort level is and then take it one step further.
*Get your administration on board.
*Get your parents on board.
*Find another teacher to work with on this. You need someone to bounce ideas off of, discuss progress with, and help you problem solve.
*Commit to trying your new idea consistently for one month before you pass judgement. You probably won’t use the technology every day so you need enough time for you and the students to figure it out.
*Set expectations for student behavior (i.e. cell phones out, face down on desks, on silent during class; no personal text messages; etc).
*Communicate your expectations.
*Hold the students accountable for the expectations.
THE IMPORTANT RULES OF CLASSROOM
CELL PHONE ETIQUETTE
1. MAKE GOOD CHOICES
- Are my actions academic and appropriate?
- Just because you have a message doesn’t
mean it is the right time to check it!
2. BE POLITE AND COURTEOUS
- Is your message clear?
- Could your tone be misunderstood?
- Do you need to ask permission?
3. BE RESPONSIBLE
- Do all personal communication on your own time
and outside of class time!
- Don’t send anything you wouldn’t say out loud.
4. BE RESPECTFUL
- The people talking to you are always #1!
- Re-read what you are sending. Is it moral?
- Re-think what you are posting. Is it appropriate?
6. KEEP IT SILENCED
- No need for sound or vibrations.
- When needed, you will be asked to use it!
7. MAKE IT VISIBLE
- Don’t sneak!
- If you have to hide it, you shouldn’t
be doing it!
8. MAKE THE BEST OF THE TECHNOLOGY