Hi, my name is Teresa Love. I teach a Special Education Preschool class for the Colton Joint Unified School District.
At this age, the content of what is taught is based on the child's developmental level. I teach shapes and colors and numbers, by giving my students materials and activities that are fun and involve the whole child. They are also taught how to have a friend, wash hands, sit in a chair, listen to an adult and other real-life skills that they need to become a good citizen and human being. Working with preschoolers with special needs means that they are given the opportunity on a daily basis to practice skills that their typically-developing peers may have already acquired. They are children first, then a children with an identified need.
Why Do I Teach?
- I teach because I love what I do
- I teach because I know that my students enjoy being in my class
- I teach because I enjoy helping parents feel more confident in their parenting skills
- I teach because I can be creative in my curriculum
- I teach because there is nothing better than when you know that you have made a connection with a child
(excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)
One Hundred Years from now
It will not matter
what kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
how much money was in my bank account
nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a better place because
I was important in the life of a child.