Chapter 2 Outline and Links
**Nearly all these topics can also be found by searching at: https://www.khanacademy.org/math.
0.4 The Quadratic Formula and Factoring
- What is the quadratic formula? How is it used to solve quadratic equations?
- How can factoring be used to solve quadratic equations?
2.1 Describing Graphs of Functions
- What does it mean for a function to be increasing or decreasing?
- What are relative minimum and relative maximum points?
- What are absolute minimum and absolute maximum points?
- What does it mean for a graph to be concave up or concave down? What is an inflection point?
- What are the x- and y-intercepts of the graph of a function?
2.2 The First- and Second-Derivative Rules
- What does the first derivative reveal about the graph of a function? What does the second derivative reveal about the graph of a function?
2.3 The First- and Second-Derivative Tests and Curve Sketching
- How are the first and second derivatives used to sketch the graph of a function?
0.6 Functions and Graphs in Applications
- Examples will be covered in class.
2.5 Optimization Problems
- What is the general strategy for solving optimization problems?