Hello and welcome to Mr. Tierney's Language Arts Website. This website is to keep you informed of the various assignments I will be giving and terms needed for my classroom. The site will be updated weekly on things occurring in my class, class assignments, and other items that I think you should be aware of.
Language Arts class is the class that helps students develop both their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. The mastering of these skills are critical to the development of a person as they are used in all areas of life. As any other skill, these skills can only be mastered through practice. Therefore, the students in my language arts class are expected to complete all assignments. Students are also expected to work in groups as it is vital that each student be able to work within a small or large social environment.
Novel Project: 20%
- Each quarter the students are responsible for reading a novel and completing the assignment(s) that go with it.
Study Island: 20%
- See on going assignments
Class Participation: 10%
- Students will be graded on how well they participate in class. This includes their cooperation in individual, small group, and whole class assignments.
- This will include all in class assignments, homework, essays, tests, and quizzes.
- to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
- to use (another's production) without crediting the source
- to commit literary theft
- to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source.
In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.
If you plagiarize, I will catch you and you will receive a ZERO on the assignment. Continuous acts of plagiarism will earn a failing grade for the marking period. We will spend time in class learning about plaigarism and how to avoid plaigarizing.