WILKES-BARRE AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT DRESS CODE
The purpose of school is to promote and foster a solid learning environment. Students are expected to dress in a manner which encourages this purpose.Violation of this policy will result in parental notification and appropriate school action.
Pants: Must be casual/dress pants of a solid color: Khaki (Beige/Tan), Navy Blue, Black or Gray
1. Pants must be sized to fit the student (i.e. +/- 1 size to the student’s measurement).
2. Pants must be secured at the waist.
3. Pants are only permitted to have no more than two (2) pockets in the front and no more than two (2) pockets in the back. No cargo pockets are permitted.
4. The following types of pants are not permitted:
a. Cargo pants
b. Baggy/Skateboard pants
c. Extra wide/extra full pants
d. Military fatigues (no camouflage)
e. Sweat pants
f. Wind pants
h. Excessively tight pants
Skirts: Must be of a solid color: Khaki (Beige/Tan), Black, Gray, or Navy Blue
1. Can only be worn knee length to ankle length. 2. No cargo pockets will be allowed.
2. No cargo pockets will be allowed
Shirts: Must be of a solid color and must have a collar.
1. Golf shirts (short/long sleeve) and button down dress shirts (shirt/long sleeve) must be worn.
2. All shirts must be buttoned just below the neck.
3. School district logos or a manufacturer’s logo no larger than two (2) inches by two (2) will be permitted.
4. Dress shirts must be tucked in and polo shirts may not extend past the middle of the pants pocket.
1. Crewneck sweatshirts and sweaters may be worn with an approved collared shirt underneath. Crewnecks and sweatshirts must be of a solid color.
2. Sweatshirts may not be ripped or torn and must be sized to fit.
3. Must not extend past the middle of the pants pocket.
4. Hooded sweatshirts are not permitted as in-school attire.
5. A solid turtleneck will be permitted in an approved color under an approved collared shirt.
6. Solid color V-neck sweaters are permitted as long as there is an approved collared shirt underneath.
1. Shorts may only be worn from April 1st through October 31st inclusively.
2. Students will be permitted to wear solid color dress shorts sized to fit. (Colors same as pants will be permitted).
3. Shorts can be worn no shorter than two (2) inches above the knee.
4. No cargo shorts will be permitted.
5. Pleated or plain shorts with no more than two (2) pockets in the front and no more than two (2) pockets in the back. No cargo pockets are permitted.
1. Must be solid color – no color preference. Chain-link belts are not permitted.
2. No emblem or logos will be permitted.
3. Belt buckles larger than 2”x2” are not permitted.
1. Backless shoes are not permitted, including clogs. Shoes must be secured to the foot.
2. Some style of shoe/sneaker must be worn at all times. No open toes. Flip-flops (shoes without backs) are prohibited.
3. Any heel or wedge over 3” is prohibited.
Articles of Noncompliance:
1. No cargo pants
2. No Henley shirts
3. No spandex pants
4. No hats, caps, headbands or bandanas
5. The display of any undergarments will be strictly prohibited
6. No chains, dog collars or spike bracelets/necklaces
7. No clothing or article deemed offensive, sexually suggestive, condoning violence, drug/alcohol/tobacco abuse, suicide or vulgar language
8. No unnatural hair coloring
9. No torn/ripped clothing
10. No denim
11. Coats and hooded sweatshirts are not permitted to be worn during the school day
12. Camouflage in any clothing
13. Hoods are not permitted to be worn on any garment during the school day
14. All black outfits are not permitted
15. No fishnet stockings
16. No plug earrings
1. Only ear piercings will be permitted. Only two (2) piercings per ear will be permitted.
2. Hoop earrings larger than 1” in diameter will not be permitted.
3. Drop earrings longer than 1” will not be permitted.
Parents/Guardians who object to the policy based on religious or medical grounds must complete and present to the building principal a copy of the Wilkes-Barre Area Dress Code Exemption Form signed by their religious leader or physician, detailing the reason(s) for the objection. The parent/guardian and the building principal will meet to discuss the exemption.
The above dress code may be amended at any time at the discretion of the Wilkes-Barre Area School Board.
The purpose of school is to promote and foster a solid learning environment. Students are expected to dress in a manner which encourages this purpose. Violation of this policy will result in parental notification and appropriate school action. Noncompliance will be considered a violation of school policy. The consequences will be as follows:
Elementary Level Offense Disciplinary Action:
1st Offense: At the discretion of the principal, depending upon the degree of cooperation from the student and parent/guardian, a request for change of clothing, a request to send the student home, or an out-of-school suspension shall take place as deemed appropriate by administration.
2nd Offense: At the discretion of the administration, the student will be excluded from class (i.e. out-of-school suspension) for one (1) day. A parental meeting must take place for the child to return to class. The student is expected to return in full compliance of the structured dress code.
3rd and Successive Offenses: At the discretion of the administration, the student will be subject to a three (3) to possible ten (10) day out-of-school suspension and a ten (10) day co-curricular suspension. A parental meeting must take place for the student to return to school. The student is expected to return in full compliance of the structured dress code.