Math 8 is a student-centered course where we spend time discovering and investigating math concepts based on the critical-thinking and problem-solving rigor of the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards. You will learn how each concept is important in everyday life. Students will work independently, in cooperative groups, with activities using manipulatives, and participate in classroom discussions. Technology is an integral part of communicating math and will be included as often as possible. The rigorous standards demand high quality performance of all students while making provisions for remediation. The objectives of this course is for students to become more confident about lifelong mathematics skills, connect math to real-world applications, participate in problem-solving through group and individual investigations, and develop better math communication skills.
Note to Parents: I appreciate all of the at home support you do with your child. In addition, please make sure they are prepared daily and come to class with the following materials.
* folder (1) with pockets and prongs for the current unit of study
* Calculator (Good for Graphs)
* pencils (3) , eraser (3) and a pencil sharpener or (2) mechanical pencils with lead and erasers
* college or wide-ruled filler paper
Please make sure you have access to Parent Portal to view your student's grade and stay updated with their assignments. This is available to all parents, just contact the Technology Director at (478) 472-8188 to get your login information.
Missing Work Policy
· Students have three days to make up work for one day of absence.
· Students have up to five days to make up work for more than one day of absence.
· Teachers will provide necessary materials or alternative assignments for work missed.
· If a student needs to be remediation, the teacher can assign a morning time (8:00-8:15) or afternoon time (after school) when students return to teach missed lessons.
For Missing Work: (no absence)
*All missing work that is not completed during the week (not based on being absent) will be due on the following Monday or it will result in a zero and cannot be made up.