On Harbor, we believe that family and community connections not only enhance student leaarning, but that it is imperative that these connections take place.
We encourage parents and guardians to be involved in their child's education. They can do this by:
- Keeping up with their student on Jupiter Grades. Can't remember your log-in? Just send a quick email to your child's core teacher and they can reset it.
- Emailing or calling a teacher with questions or concerns.
- Coming to on-house events such as curriculum night or the Harbor play.
- Coming to parent-teacher conferences or setting one up.
- Volunteering. There are several opportunities to volunteer with varied time commitments. Anything from chaperoning a field trip to donating for a bake sale is appreciated.
We encourage all students to connect to the community in one way or another. 8th grade challenge is based around the idea of community service. Students pick a topic or organization they'd like to learn about and do a project surrounding it. Student's must write a research paper, keep a log of their work, and do some active community service involving their issue. Past topics and organizations have included:
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention
- Child Labor
- American Red Cross