The best way to find a good part-time job is to let everyone know you're looking for one and start searching!
SPECIAL NOTE: Sometimes you can create your own job or small business by noticing what people need. Ask yourself some of these questions to begin thinking of creating your own employment opportunities:
Do the people in your neighborhood need yard work or babysitting? Dog-walking? Errand-running? Tutoring their young children or themselves in computer or internet knowledge? How about being a personal fitness companion to keep someone on track with their running program?
The possibilities are endless -- it's ALL UP TO YOU!!
Along with networking, check out these helpful sites below:
Local Part Time Jobs - search by zip code:
North Carolina's JobBank:
Triangle Jobs (News & Observer CareerBuilder)
Any North Carolina resident under the age of 18 who is employed for wages must have a Youth Worker Permit on file with their employer. Youth Work Permits are issued on-line from the NC Department of Labor.
To obtain a work permit, follow these instructions:
- The student must first have a job.
- The student or employer should access the NC Department of Labor web site (www.nclabor.com) and click on the “Youth Work Permit” button from the Quick Clicks menu located on the right side of the home page.
- After reading the instructions on the next page that appears, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Youth Employment Certificate” button. This will give the user access to the permit application.
- On the application page, both the employee and employer should complete the requested information in the applicable section. Required fields are denoted with an asterisk. Email address is optional in both sections.
- In the employer section, the employer must choose the type of business in which the employee will work, from the drop-down menu and answer the question regarding whether or not the business has an on-premises ABC permit.
- Click “Continue” to advance to the next page.
- Choose the proposed job from the list on the drop-down menu found at the bottom of the page.