An acceptable use policy helps us stay safe while using technology within the school. By using an technology acceptable use policy, it allows students to understand they must be responsible in order to support technology usage in the classroom setting.
Most Effective Acceptable Use Policies include the following 6 components: a preamble, a definition section, a policy statement, an acceptable uses section, an unacceptable uses section, and a violations/sanctions section.
Acceptable Technology Use Policy
Ms. K. Williams
The aim of this Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP) is to ensure that students will benefit from learning opportunities offered by the school’s Internet resources in a safe and effective manner. Internet use and access is considered a school resource and privilege. If the school ATUP is not adhered to, this privilege will be withdrawn and appropriate sanctions will be imposed.
It is envisaged that school and parent representatives will be involved in the review of this policy on a regular basis.
TECHNOLOGY ACCEPTABLE USE
Student Technology Code of Ethics and Rules for Technology Use
- I acknowledge that the use of District technology is a privilege and with that privilege I have no expectation of privacy (i.e. email, data on a workstation or server, network communications, internet use, telephone, voice mail, etc.). I understand that District personnel can monitor my use of this technology electronically at any time.
- I will not make copies of software from school computers or networks.
- I will not install any software on District computers without permission from the local building Technology Operational Assistant or District technology support staff.
- I will not knowingly or intentionally introduce a virus, worm, Trojan horse, rootkit, etc. into any computer system.
- I will not damage any computer systems, computer hardware, or alter files or software residing on any District computers.
- I will not modify or change data on the system or data belonging to other users.
- I will not allow another user, staff or student, to use a computer while logged in with my ID.
- I will not create or forward any type of chain mail (i.e. computer virus, notification, good luck notices, etc.)
- I will not use school District technology for purposes other than for school-related work.
- I will not access social media for personal use and only access district approved applications if a teacher or district staff member approves it for an educational activity.
- I will not engage in cyberbullying (using a computer for intentionally mean behavior that will harm others) or other unlawful or inappropriate activities using a computer.
It is the student’s responsibility to report problems or malfunctions to a staff member as soon as they occur.
TECHNOLOGY UNACCEPTABLE USES
The following are illustrative of, (but not exhaustive of); inappropriate use of technology and that violate District Policy:
• Soliciting or fund-raising for personal causes not related to school business
• Use of profanity or inappropriate language
• Commercial or personal advertising
• Use of technology or networks in an illegal or unethical manner
• Accessing pornographic material
• Use of any attached network that hampers the use by anyone
• Creation of a home page on a District owned server without BPS identification and authorization
• Use of school time for personal/nonschool related access
• Illegal activities of any type
The District may at any time make determinations that particular uses of the Internet are, or are not, consistent with the goals of the District.
Name of Student: ______________________ Class/Year: _______________
Please review the attached school Internet Acceptable Use Policy, sign and return this permission form to the Principal.
I agree to follow the school’s Acceptable Usage Policy on the use of the Internet. I will use the Internet in a responsible way and obey all the rules explained to me by the school.
Student Signature: ____________________________
As the parent or legal guardian of the above student, I have read the Acceptable Use Policy and grant permission for my son or the child in my care to access the Internet. I understand that Internet access is intended for educational purposes. I also understand that every reasonable precaution has been taken by the school to provide for online safety but the school cannot be held responsible if students access unsuitable websites.
I accept the above paragraph ◻
I do not accept the above paragraph ◻
In relation to the school website, I hereby grant permission to management of Ms. K. Williams to publish content and photographs which refer to/include my child if the school considers it appropriate.
Parent/Guardian Signature: ____________________________
Technology Use Policies - http://www.scholastic.com/librarians/tech/techpolicy.htm
Acceptable Use Policies - https://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/curr093.shtml