This is our classroom webpage for English 11. Everything you'll need to succeed can be found here!
This week we begin The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
We will also introduce the research paper due at the beginning of April.
Be sure to stay on top of your blogs.
This Week's Agenda: March 5-9, 2018
|Monday, Mar. 5||Tuesday, Mar. 6||Wednesday, Mar. 7||Thursday, Mar. 8||Friday, Mar. 9|
The Great Gatsby
Introduction of research paper
The Great Gatsby, chapter one
How to research
The Great Gatsby, chapter two
Due March 6
Questions from Grammar Screencasting Video
Due March 8
Pre-Reading QUIZ (The Great Gatsby)
Due March 9
Finish Gatsby, chapter 1
Due March 12
3 Research Notecards
- Grammar Screencasting Video
- Additional Grammar Resources:
- Gatsby Pre-Reading Screencasting Video
- Writing Screencasting Video (Research Notecards)
Blog Questions (Collected at the beginning of class every Friday)
What is a homophone? How are there, their, and they're different from each other?
Over the last two days, we've focused on the homophone group of there, their, and they're. Can you think of two other homophone pairings/groups? Define them and use them in a sentence.
What is one new thing you learned about the 1920s? Why was it interesting? Was there anything you already knew?
Do you have any potential research topics in mind yet? What are they? List at least three.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the grading scale?
100-95 - A
|86-83 - B||
76-73 - C
|66-63 - D|
94-90 - A-
82-80 - B-
|72-70 - C-||
62-60 - D-
|89-87 - B+||79-77 - C+||69-67 - D+||59 and lower - F|
What are the classroom policies?
- Respect your classmates! No insults or derogatory language will be tolerated.
- Show up to class on time. Six tardies will result in a detention.
- Silence your phones. Disruptive phone usage will result in it being confiscated until the end of the period.
- Turn in your assignments! Late submissions will be accepted. However, a five point deduction will occur for each day past the due date. (If you would've gotten a 90 if submitted on time, it falls down to a 85 the next day, and an 80 the day after that, etc.)
- No cheating or plagiarism.
What should I do if I miss class?
First, check the agenda above. Second, check in with me to see what you missed. If you can plan your absence in advance, reach out to me beforehand in order to receive the material you'll miss. If not, see me upon return (schedule here) or send me an email.
What is screencasting?
These videos consist of the powerpoint lesson shown in class, narrated by me.
Do I have to do the blog every day?
Preferably. It is in your best interest to do the corresponding blog on the day it's assigned. However, you don't have to turn in your blogs for that week until the start of class on Fridays. They only need to be about half a page in length: typed, Times New Roman, size 12.