Chapter 2 Section 2 Vocabulary (pg. 42)
1. Classification- the process of grouping things based on their similarities.
2. Taxonomy- The scientific study of how living things are classified.
3. Binomial Nomenclature- The system for naming organisms in which each organism is given a unique, two-part scientific name.
4. Genus- a classification group that consists of a number of similar, closely related species.
5. Species- a group of similar organisms that can mate with each other and produce offspring that can also mate and reproduce.
6. Prokaryotes- Organisms who lack a nucleus.
7. Nucleus- The control center of a eukaryotic cell that directs the cell’s activities, and contains the information that determines the cell’s form and function.
8. Eukaryote- An organism whose cells contain nuclei.