One child will be the “leader” for the day. They will be responsible for the snack and show ‘n’ tell. The leader does the weather station, where the concept of time, days of the week, and the months are introduced. They will help the teacher by passing things out and by collecting and putting things away. The leaders names are printed in our newsletter, along with the theme of the month, for you to refer to ahead of time and/or a leader paper will be sent home with your child notifying you when your child is the leader, how many children are in the class, and if there are any food allergies.
The “leader” for the day will bring the snack and drink. Please make sure all snacks and drinks are the same. Some suggestions are ~ fruit, carrot and celery sticks, popcorn, Jello, cheese & crackers, graham crackers, cereal & milk, yogurt, juice, milk, or Kool-Aid. All snacks must have a list of ingredients. Extended day students will pack a lunch for the day except one day each month the class will prepare a lunch together. If you are unable to provide the snack, please let the instructor know in advance & a snack will be provided.
- Send a large, old shirt or an apron with your child’s name on it to keep at school for painting & science experiments. (please check to see when your child’s paint shirt may need laundered)
- Please dress your child appropriately for class > play clothes (we are very busy and sometimes get messy) and shoes for running, jumping, and climbing (flip-flops and open backed shoes are not recommended).
- Please take your child to the restroom before class begins.
- Do not send anything valuable to class with your child. (We cannot be responsible for lost or broken items.)
- Please make sure you have completed and returned the “Child Information Form” to the teacher.
There will be seasonal celebrations and parties around the holidays. Treats and donations of any supplies such as napkins, cups, paper plates, plastic utensils, etc. are welcome!
Kiski Area School District’s schedule for holidays is usually followed for Thanksgiving, Christmas, *Martin Luther King Day, *Easter, and Memorial Day UNLESS otherwise determined by the teacher or YMCA. Notification will be posted. *These days may be used as makeup days for snow cancellations.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
Closings, delays, and early dismissals due to weather conditions will be determined according to Kiski Area School District’s decision. A modified schedule will be followed for delays. Modifications for a two-hour delay are as follows:
Kindergarten Explorers, Mon/Wed > 9:30 am ~ 3:00 pm Fri > 9:30 am ~ 12:00 pm
KinderClub Explorers, Tues/Thurs > 11:30 am ~ 2:00 pm Fri > 12:30 pm ~ 3:00 pm
WEE Explore! Tues/Thurs > 9:30 am ~ 11:00 pm
Please notify the instructor if your child will not be attending classes due to illness by calling our West Vandergrift program center or our Kiski Valley branch office.
GUIDELINES TO HELP DETERMINE WHEN TO KEEP A CHILD HOME:
Excessive runny nose or persistent cough
Fever - child should be fever free (WITHOUT fever reducing medications) for 24 hours before returning to class
Pinkish, watery or mattered-filled eyes
Body aches, joint pain
Multiple cold symptoms
Fatigue/lack of sleep the night before class
Suspected communicable or infectious diseases
The teachers are not permitted to administer any type of medication without a written prescription from the child's PCP.
A “time out” period will be used to help children control behavior that may result in hurting themselves, hurting others, or the destruction of property. Redirection will also be used to help guide behavior before it becomes an issue.
There is a Guarded Dismissal. Please notify the teacher or the office if someone different will be picking up your child that is not on your Child Information Form.
METHODS OF COMMUNICATION
- Explorers’ News Corner – just outside our room
- Explorers’ Newsletter – published every 3 months
- Individual mail pouch assigned to each student
- Appointments pre-arranged for any concerns
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: yexplorers.educatorpages.com (do not enter www.)